0

I will resign from the Cabinet if PAS' Private Member’s Bill is passed in Parliament, said MCA president Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai.
"I'm trying to stop it. I'm trying to get all the component parties to stop it. I am urging both sides of the political divide to come together and stop this Bill.
"So if we cannot do it. We will have to sacrifice. I will resign.
"No point I stay on anymore, you know. I have to be very firm on this one. I was thinking of saying this in the press conference yesterday (Friday)," Liow told The Star.
But the Transport Minister hopes it does not come to that, as he called on parties from both sides of the political divide to vote down the Bill, which was tabled in Parliament by PAS president Datuk Seri Abdul Hadi Awang on Thursday.
On Friday, Liow in a joint statement with three presidents of Barisan's component members, voiced displeasure that the Bill was brought forward in Parliament over other Government matters and that it was not discussed within the Cabinet or the Barisan Nasional Supreme Council.
er: 0px; color: #444444; font-stretch: normal; line-height: 23px; margin-bottom: 17px; padding: 0px;"> When asked about MCA's position in Barisan in the event the Bill is debated and passed, Liow said he believes the party would continue to stay on in the ruling coalition.
He clarified that other MCA leaders need not follow suit with his decision to leave the Cabinet if the Bill is passed, clarifying that he was making statements in his personal capacity as Transport Minister.
"I'm not going to talk about it (MCA in Barisan) yet. I think stopping the Bill now is more important than showing emotion.
"You have to talk with Barisan spirit and using the force within Barisan to get this Bill stopped.
"MCA has to continue (in Barisan). But I am prepared for it (to leave Cabinet). I am not worried with what I said," said Liow.
Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Datuk Seri Azalina Othman Said moved a motion to push Hadi's Bill up the Standing Order's list.



The Bill was listed as No.15 or the last item on the Standing Order.
However, Hadi had requested that the Bill on hudud only be debated at the next Parliament meeting in October.
The Bill seeks to amend Syariah Courts (Criminal Jurisdiction) (Amendment) 2016 to allow the Kelantan PAS state government to impose hudud punishment for crimes, except death sentences.
The hudud punishment only applies to Muslims in Kelantan.
-The Star-

Post a Comment

 
Top