0








“I came from Johor Bahru and I just arrived this evening. I’m planning to sleep here on the streets tonight and wake up early to protest.”


Some supporters showed up at Dataran Merdeka as early as 10pm last night while disabled activist Isaiah Jacobs, has been here since last Saturday.
KUALA LUMPUR: An air of festivity was palpable last night when 100 or so eager Bersih 5 supporters gathered as early as 10pm at the main junctions of Jalan Tun Perak-Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman-Jalan Raja here last night, shouting and chanting Bersih slogans every time passing motorists honked in a show of support.
The Bersih 5 and the Red Shirts movements are expected to occupy the streets of Kuala Lumpur from 10am-6pm today.
Ahead of this rally, the police and Kuala Lumpur City Hall personnel began barricading the vicinity of Dataran Merdeka and along Jalan Raja Laut to maintain security in the area.
Earlier yesterday, Bersih leaders Maria Chin Abdullah, Mandeep Singh, and several opposition leaders including Anthony Loke, Ronnie Liu, Jimmy Wong, and Lee Khai Ming were arrested by the police.
Video Player




FMT spoke to a supporter, wishing to be known only as Andy, who said he planned on sleeping on the streets Friday night.
“I came from Johor Bahru and I just arrived this evening. I’m planning to sleep here on the streets tonight and wake up early to protest.”
Meanwhile, FMT also spoke to disabled activist Isaiah Jacob, who has been fasting and sleeping on the streets since last Saturday.
isiah-bersihJacob said he had not had a bite for six days already and was drinking only half a bottle of water a day.
“Six days have passed, I’m getting used to sleeping on the stones and I don’t regret it a single bit.
“I will continue to be here and fast tomorrow, because this is a struggle I believe in.”
He also claimed that he was antagonised by members of the Red Shirts group on Wednesday.
“The Red Shirts (supporters) threw stones at me while I was sleeping.”
Bersih-1Despite being the eve of the rally, several groups were also seen selling Bersih merchandise and drinks along the streets.
One group was seen selling Bersih 5 T-shirts for RM15.
The Bersih 5 rally will see its supporters gathering at Dataran Maybank in Jalan Bangsar and Masjid Jamek at 10am.



Post a Comment

 
Top